Friday, October 13, 2006

Tel Aviv

A sticker on a van:
Excuse me!
Do you think God is happy about the way you dress?
Hey Jewish girl, dress modestly!

+ + +

Shoe-shop scene:
Man walks into the shop.
Man: 'Wow. I absolutely adore your shoes. I can't stop buying them'.
Owner: of course
Man: [points to the Crocks sandals he's wearing] what do you think of these?
Owner: [looks to the side, her face expressing extreme contempt] PCHEEEE.
Man: I know why you say that, because everybody has them. What they call 'the common Israeli' (grimaces). [Pause] But me, I live abroad! [triumphantly]

Commentary:
1. The dislike of 'the common Israeli' is indeed one of the traits of the common Israeli.
2. Five years of living abroad, and I have lost my grasp on Israeli social etiquette. I can't tell what is rude and what is just the Israeli way of being friendly, 'the pushy manner which is the Israeli idea of warmth'.

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Niki said...

"the pushy manner which is the Israeli idea of warmth"

this is hilarious. It is how I feel about Iranians too. If I've been away for too long everyone strikes me as being all in my business, but they are just trying to be caring or something.

--niki

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i saw the "excuse me do you think god is happy" sticker last Friday. i was walking past the Shuk right when the, um, klaxon? you know, that siren of the entrance of the Shabat started. anyway, i was covering my ears because the siren is very loud down by the Shuk, and that's when i saw the sticker, on this pole on the street. i just had to tear it off. felt pretty good after. even though God did punish me with loud noise. guess he's not very pleased with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home