Thursday, October 05, 2006

Back

Israel always starts in the queue to the check-in at a London airport. Somehow I always go during the holidays: Passover or - this time - the High Holidays, between Yom Kippur and Tabernacle (Sukkot). The flights are packed with ultra-orthodox families, with lots of kids, even more suitcases. The check-in takes forever.

The guy sitting next to me was an ultra-orthodox property developer from Stamford Hill. I couldn't resist the temptation and told him I squatted in the East End. 'Why?' he said. 'Because the building was empty and unused and I had no money to pay rent'. He gave me thumbs up, but then said seriously: 'yes I had squatters one time... but I threw their stuff to the street'. I was reading 'Berlin Chronicle', and I told him about Walter Benjamin's Kabbala influences. He wasn't impressed.

And now here. Traffic is worst then ever. Weather is beautiful. Personal life in a mess. And the stones... they're covering everything. And I've not even begun to face life or work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home