Monday, June 06, 2005

the end.. and a new beginning

Spring time in Israel: a strange time to be there. Yes, everything green and blossoming: last lemons still on the trees and early figs are making an appearance (they will be ready in a month or two); occasional heatwaves, especially cruel in April, but most of the time it’s super lovely. The best time of the year. Yet spring is also a series of national festivals, and it’s hard to escape the Jewish/Israeli destiny – in the shape of nationalistic newspaper headlines, flags, and two minutes memorial sirens. Memory, national memory, is played loud during this time, in high-pitch tones. They descend one after the other: Passover; Holocaust Memorial Day, National Memorial Day (for soldiers and war casualties), and last, Independence Day. As someone who is getting more and more allergic to official state-sponsored Israeli history, all these festivals were becoming a bit too much for me.

But it was a good visit for me. Slowly, and sometimes painfully, I was trying to find a new place for myself there. Someone I could be. I can see myself going back, for a longer period, maybe for good.

I am back in London. In a new house. I will soon write all about it. Find me on my London blog.


Below you can find last pics from Jerusalem, a random collection, and a posting about Deir Yasin, which took me a long time to write.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger mink said...

hmmm...thanks for this, lisa, but I think i'll give it a pass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home